Labels

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Moving Past Distractions



Distractions We all face them at one time or another in our lives, however, it is what we decide to do with the distraction(s) at hand that is important to our outcome.
Distractions will get your focus off of what is before you and the task at hand. Distractions will consume your thought life, if you allow it to. Webster's Dictionary even states that the word "distracted" and mental confusion go together(that's not to surprising). That is why it is so important to renew our mind daily in God's Word. When we do this we are digesting God's word, His Truth into our very being, every part, Body, Soul, and Spirit. The Word of God is made up of Life Words which will move you forward and get you past the "trap" of distractions.

Many people allow their past to be the main distraction in their life. Our adversary loves this because he knows that if he can get you "hung up" on your past, always looking back that you'll never move forward. You will not see what is "really" in front of you because your too busy always looking back. This is the only thing the enemy can use against you, He can't use your future against you, so he will try to remind you of past failures, whatever they may be. Moral, Spiritual, Physical, Financial...you name it.When you are in Christ Jesus you are no longer the person you use to be.You are no longer identified with the old person you were, but you have become a New Creation in Christ Jesus! Allow the call of God in your life to speak louder than the voice of your past.

I am reminded of the account of Lot and his wife in Genesis 19,they were told to literally run for their life and not to look back, not to even stop anywhere on the plain.However, Lot's wife looked back and turned into a pillar of salt. I believe there are times in our lives where we need to run for our life and not look back! Runaway fast from the distractions that even seem to look enticing, but in the long run they will only keep you from moving forward.

Not that long ago I was faced with a situation that bothered me, and to be honest with you, I would say it played on my mind, to quite an extent.I found myself thinking on what this other sister in the Lord had said about me, during different times of the day, even when I went to bed. It was consuming a lot of my thoughts.~It was crazy, seriously!~ One night I went to bed and had a dream where I confronted her, she was sitting in the corner of a room, she was sitting how you would see a "Buddha" sit.It was as if she wanted to be in control of the room or the atmosphere. When I confronted her and told her that I wanted to talk to her about what she said, we immediately were in a different location and I no longer was talking to this woman,but it was a demon. This "thing" had a scrawny little body but a huge head with hair that looked like it had stuck it's finger in a light socket, (it almost reminded me of those freaky little creatures in one of the Lord of the Rings movies.)As I tried to get my words out this "thing" would talk while I was trying to talk and it was very distracting to me, it was a struggle for me to keep my train of thought. But I reached a point in the dream where I said very firmly, "I will fulfill God's plans and purpose for my life, Hallelujah!" and immediately the dream was over and I woke up. God reminded me of the scripture in Ephesians 6:10-12 that says "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes.For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers,against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms".
The next day my husband was giving a message to our students and he was saying how the enemy will use anything he can to distract us and immediately the light bulb went on, the Holy Spirit showed me that this was a scheme of the enemy that was talked about in Ephesians. My battle was not this woman, not of flesh and blood but this was a "scheme" of the enemy, This was intended to rob me of my peace, it was intended to be a stumbling block, but God showed me how to make it a stepping stone. And since then I have moved forward, past that distraction, Praise God!
So, with all that said I leave you with a scripture from the Message Bible Phillippians 3:12-14 I'm not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me. Friends, don't get me wrong:By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I've got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward - to Jesus. I'm off and running, and I'm not turning back. Dear Friend, God has so much in store for you, there is no need to be looking behind you. Keep your eyes wide open, looking onward to Jesus, and you won't miss the mark!
Shine Like the Dawn,
Jennifer

2 comments:

Kim Ridgeway said...

I was faced with a similar situation. This person had slammed us and it controlled me...the anger controlled me. It affected me, my ministries, my health. God had to remind me he is my vindicator and I had to forgive to be forgiven. I am to the point now that I feel bad for this person....he lives in misery and it's sad....

Apple of His Eye said...

You are right on! I've dealt with feelings of unworthiness and not good enough to be in ministry and serve the Lord as a Pastor's wife etc because of things from my past. I know I'm forgiven, but the enemy would bring it back to my remembrance over and over.

In January I was delivered from this and confirmation was given to me that I indeed am part of the Levitical family to serve in ministry. This woman had no idea why I was crying my eyes out and the struggles that evening that was battling within me.

Praise God for victory in our lives!